September 15, 2009

On My Retro Ish: Electric Circus & Xtendamix





Back on my ish!!! During the early nineties Much Music was one of the few channels (Ch. 30 in Scarborough)that represented Toronto's growing ethnic diversity. Before the advent of reality TV no two shows represented Hip Hop, House, R&B, and Soul better than Electric Circus & Xtendamix. Electric Circus was essentially Toronto's own Soul Train and Xtendamix was the show to see all the latest videos. Every Saturday I'd tune in excited to see the best of what the world had to offer. Young and wide eyed these shows made me hip to all the new trends,fashions and dances of the time. I would dub over moms videos and keep an archive each week. Hosts Monika Deol (my first celebrity crush) and Tony "Master T" Young always kept their shows fresh and entertaining by having live performances and engaging conversations with their audiences. Master T and his assistant "Roxy" would keep me glued to the tube dying at the fact that "Roxy" was a talking keyboard. Master T also kept it live by creating crazy characters like Taurus T. Electric Circus was a trip! Imagine a club full of rhythm less people dancing. 'Nuff said. I can't lie I watched the show for Monika (wink). I thought she was the flyest big hair and all. Unfortunately both shows have gone to TV heaven but they will always bring back fond memories.

R.I.P

Electric Circus ( 1988-2003) & Xtendamix (1990-2001)

JoVi

No comments:

Post a Comment